SilkyOakPress

Silky Oak Press

We're so excited to finally have our (very) small press up and running. Good books are magic things, and we're loving doing our bit to help bring some special ones into the world. http://silkyoakpress.com.au

Rosie Revere, Engineer by Andrea Beaty

Rosie Revere, Engineer - Andrea Beaty, David  Roberts

This book is fun!

First the story … it is written in a simple rhyming verse with a strong feminist message, courtesy of Rosie the Riveter, the WWII scarf-wearing character whose slogan was "We can do it!".

An illustrated & captioned history of women and aviation is included too.

Her great-great-aunt Rose (who has a very large bust!) declares, "Your brilliant first flop was a raging success!" and "The only true failure can come if you quit."

A nice reminder to children that hard work, research, trial & error, and a good attitude to failure & setbacks are vital to success.

I'm only learning this now!

Illustrations are by David Roberts. They are full of detail, rich pure colour and ingenuity.

He brings a retro/vintage feel — from her 50s style teacher with an hourglass figure, pointy shoes and a top-knot updo to 70's style wicker-ware bedroom furniture to the bohemian style outfits ( a little 20s, 60s and 70s!) of her Aunts and Uncle.

Rosie's bedroom at night with a lovely moonlight glow.

Rosie (the girl with the open eye) in her classroom — with her teacher, Lila Greer.

And finally, Rosie's bohemian Aunts.